5.13.2008

Day 13 - Sand Dollar

This reminds me of a sand dollar, even though I wasn't thinking of anything in particular when I started. The colors are a little lighter and brighter because I soaked them off of the paper. What I mean is: I drenched the paper with clean water, let it sit for a few minutes, then dabbed the water off with a paper towel to remove some of the paint. (A technique learned from classes with Tom) Not only could you lift watercolor off of the paper, but it leaves an interesting effect. The paint that remains appears to be more a part of the paper than sitting on the surface. I also cleaned it up a bit with copper and white acrylic.

Painting everyday is really feeling like a habit. I worked a 10-1/2 hour day at the office today, came home - had to put on the roller blades because I promised Ellie - then straight to painting. I am in the mode of "just do it", not "maybe I will" or "I just don't know what to paint." Painting everyday has taken the pressure off of creating something profound, perfect, or complete. I feel more playful and ready to make mistakes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Patti! That turned out great!!
It reminds me of a sand dollar, too! These last few mandalas would all look great in my new room addition...just waiting for my ship to come in so I can create my very own mandala gallery!

Keep up the great work!
Dorie

Anonymous said...

This one has a lot of motion to it and it mimics the reflection of water. Love it!