11.04.2008

United States?

I've recently joked that we are so polarized that we should just divide the country into two parts and live our own separate lives. But, could the left side of the country all be liberal and the right side of the country all be conservative? No. We need everyone and we need balance.

I think many people are pretty scared right now, on both sides. I've never wanted to talk politics, but in trying to remain optimistic and in trying not to offend anyone I'll say this... This is an exciting election and I think it is all good. This country has never seen a time when so many individuals have felt that voting was an important responsibility. Sadly, many people I've talked to seemed extreme and fanatical, were not educated, and were only voting out of fear. At least they felt empowered by having their privilege to vote. We are still living in a democracy even though it doesn't always feel like it. I am looking forward to this day being over so we can get past the rhetoric, call ourselves "United", and start building a future for this country. I feel that McCain and Obama are both good candidates. And for the first time in a long time I didn't feel like I had to choose the lesser of two evils. Both candidates know that this country needs change. Maybe that's why voters are worried. How many times have we maintained comfort with a horrible situation because we did not want to face the unknown?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Voting today was really exciting. Talk about feeling spiritual. It feels like I am part of something bigger than myself. Barack Obama gives us hope, not that he can "fix" things, but that each one of us has the power to change our lives and the world to make it a better place. I feel like I am part of the process. It reminds me of the struggle people around the world face. Sweto comes to mind. Check out this site: http://www.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,,1191731,00.html to see pictures of people standing in line for hours and hours to vote. John McCain was a viable candidate until he chose Sarah Palin. There is no way I could support that ticket with two young daughters watching and listening. Thanks, Patti for sharing your views on this blog through words and art and thanks for letting me share mine.
Peace.
Sarah