11.05.2008

HOPE

Four days before Election Day, when Barack Obama rallied in my town, I was surprised by fearful comments people made about him and about his race. I have not discussed racism or prejudice with my daughters yet, because – why fill their heads with that when they are so accepting and innocent? It was that day, five days ago, that I mentioned to Maya - regardless of the issues or what he believes in, some people will not vote for Barack Obama just because he is black. Maya said "But when Obama wins, people will see that a black person can be a really good president." "You're right, Maya."

Until last week I thought it was a non-issue. Race did not play a big part in the campaign. People voted for the best candidate. Many first time voters showed up at the polls because there was someone worth voting for. We voted for HOPE and everybody wins.