1.01.2010

Happy New Year!?

If how you spend your New Year's Eve is any indication of what the next year will bring...I have no idea? Nothing worked out quite as planned today. The last couple of days Darrin said he felt like he might be coming down with something. He woke me up early this morning to tell me he needed to see a doctor. Before I left for work he returned from the clinic and he assured me even though he had pneumonia we could still have friends over tonight. When I returned from work in the early afternoon he was not doing well - running a high fever, looking and feeling miserable. We cancelled plans with friends, but told them we could hook up with them at the fireworks display downtown at midnight. It was all I could say to console Ellie. It was her friends and their families that we invited over and then had to un-invite. The quiet evening passed by slowly as the girls lost interest in everything by 9:30 and I played Beatles Rock Band by myself for the last 2 hours of clock watching. Ellie was exhausted and tried to take a nap, but couldn't. She perked up just before we bundled up at 11:30 and we headed downtown. We didn't find any of our friends, we nearly got frostbite, (10˚ F) but Ellie said it was one of the best fireworks displays she has ever seen. I was happy that she was happy. It was such a strange holiday. We missed being with Daddy. We were disappointed that plans with friends didn't work out. But, we were happy and we did the best we could under the circumstances. If this is any indication of what 2010 will bring, it does not mean that Darrin will be sick or I will be playing video games. In 2010, be happy even when things don't go as planned.

No comments: