7.09.2010

Concrete


When I said we are starting some home improvement projects, I didn't mean we were out buying a gallon of paint. We finally have mustered up the guts and forked out the cash to do the major renovations that I have been dreaming of since we moved in over 11 years ago.

The contractor said it would be no big deal to pour 3 inches of concrete over the front porch and back stoop. But, the concrete subcontractor came by to frame it out and said he would have to break up a lot of it. It was a bit unnerving for the past 3 days, stepping over and around boards, rebar, rubble, sand, holes, etc. It doesn't help that our house looks like it is about to be condemned since they knocked out the posts and put temporary support to hold the roof up.

This morning we anxiously awaited the arrival of the cement truck. The girls were disappointed that he pulled up on the street behind the big pine tree. They couldn't get a good look at it. Eventually the truck pulled into the driveway. It was exciting to see the guys assemble the chute and distribute the concrete.


Then the view was so up close and personal,

the truck felt like a monster ready to invade my home.


Everyone got a front row seat. As I watched them pour and smooth, I could see these guys really knew what they were doing. I didn't know concrete could be so beautiful! I'll have to show you after they remove the framework.

No comments: