10.31.2008

Halloween Excitement!

I could not believe my eyes when I read the announcement that Barack Obama was coming to my neighborhood! This is the park where I run my three miles! This is the park where we play with our children!

I told Maya yesterday morning as soon as she woke up. Her jaw dropped and she looked as completely stunned as I was. She seemed to be feeling what I was feeling. But, while trying to look at the world through my children's eyes - they can't possibly comprehend the improbability of this happening. Not only being in such close proximity of the next President of the United States - but also one of the greatest leaders we have had in a long time! I know I'm getting ahead of myself - that is my honest prediction.

Of course, the timing is a little scary. The town notified us there will be restricted parking. So far there are not enough signs to restrict my neighborhood. The park opens at 6:00 and trick-o-treating is from 5 to 7. I called the police department to express my concerns without expressing my political preference. I was told they did not feel they could check everyone closely to see who was driving in and out. After hanging up I thought they probably suspected I was paranoid about what kind of people would be in my neighborhood. Then I thought about the 3 people I promised a parking spot on my driveway. Of course, they need to be let in.

If it were any other day I would be happy to have my neighborhood crawling with this much excitement - even if it were a Republican - just not during trick-o-treating.

Time will tell. I'll let you all know how it goes. Look for me on the 10 o'clock news. Have a safe and Happy Halloween.
peace.


No comments: